Monday, June 16, 2014

Kelshmo's Channel - Week 1 (06/02/2014) Review

Damn, why so busy man? Can't even be bothered to update the blog. Sheesh.

I'll make these reviews every week, rounding up all of the videos for that week. Even know I'm two weeks behind now. The show must go on!


Real quick here, I want to make my channel schedule official: I'll be uploading a video every week day, and taking Saturday, and Sunday off. At least, I will try to do this. I'm not good at consistency, but as mentioned in my Channel Update video, it really is key to grow a YouTube channel. I love making these videos, and of course I want as many of you guys to enjoy them as well! With that said, lets get on with this week in review.


Channel Update: Summer 2014 (Plans for the Summer)


Sparking the rebirth of my channel, I blabber on about some ideas for the future, and what I'll be uploading for the moment. I'm glad I got every GTA poster in existence with that shot. Those weird egg carton things on my wall are there for sound deadening, I plan on making a timelapse video of me covering my whole wall with that stuff. I bought a folding room divider just to put those things on. Does it work? Kind of. Not as much as I'd like though, I think getting a whole bunch of them on the walls and ceiling will help. But that there is much of an echo here in the first place, but very little bit helps.

S1 Recap - Let's Stalk - Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl

With this video, I start the new way I'm titling my videos. Since I started my Playthroughs of Stalker: SoC and Farcry 2 a year ago, I thought I'd make "recap" videos for the old episodes. This way, new people wouldn't have to watch the old ones if they didn't want to, and I could just start up the next episodes like nothing happened. I'm calling the old episodes "Season 1" and the new episodes "Season 2". I can tell you now that making these "recap" videos the way I make them takes a long ass time. I think this one took over 5 hours, and the yet to be released Farcry 2 Season 1 recap video took over 6 hours to finish. I love the way they both turned out though, and I think that they will prove to be useful, or at the very least, just fun to watch./////


"Das Keycard" - S1/E1 - Dead Island


And here is another playthrough! How am I going to manage that? Not very well probably. Once I throw in Farcry 2, I'll have quite a few games going up on my channel. Not sure any of this is a good idea, but I play what I enjoy, and I enjoy playing what I enjoy. I'm not making any videos because I feel like I have to. I love everything on my channel, even if some of the old stuff is terrible, I still know that I made those videos with the same mind set I have now; enjoy making videos, and the videos will be enjoyable. It's the secret sauce ladies and gentlemen. Not that anyone is yearning to learn about my secret sauce. But yeah, I love Dead Island, always have since I started playing on my ps3 from that rented copy due back to blockbuster in a week. That always went to damn quick. Anywho, my favorite thing about that game is definitely the melee combat physics. No game has ever made each swing of the baseball bat, each punch so meaty, and gruesome. Very visceral feeling. If they made a game like Skyrim with that kind of detail, I think I'd have my favorite game ever right there.


"Josh" - State of Decay


This is in between a one-off, and a playthrough style of video. I just wanted to record some of this game, because you can get into some really funny shenanigans, and I think it turned out alright. I particularly enjoy the beginning of the video, as the gimmicky nature of "You must play this game all the time, or else" is pretty dumb. I'm fine with some persistence in my open world adventure games, but don't make it annoying. And making someone have to come back to play your game in this kind of artificial, bullshit way is nothing but a detriment to an otherwise great game. I think I'll make some more random videos with this game, and maybe some in the sandboxy DLC for it once I've finished up the story. Or maybe I'll skip the story, as it sucks more than a brand new dyson.


"Borov's Key" - S2/E1 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl


It's great to be back in the world of SoC, such an atmospheric game. Ive been watching some of FPSChazly's videos on Stalker: Lost Alpha. You should check him out, he is a veteran of the Stalker games, and Lost Alpha is fan recreation of SoC, quite a beautiful one at that. 


With this episode, I'm trying a new way to process my voice audio, using Adobe Premiere Pro, instead of Audacity. Normally I would record my voice with Audacity, and then use it's effects like Noise Removal, Compressor, Normalizer, and Equalizer. After that I'd import it into Premiere Pro, and start editing it with the video. But now I'm directly importing the raw, unprocessed audio into Premiere, and using it's own audio processing tools. It has a dynamic Audio Gate effect, which is similar to Audacity's Noise Removal, but works entirely different. I don't know if I like the way it sounds more than Audacity's Noise Removal, but I is a lot faster, so I'll use it for awhile until I either choose to keep using it, or go back to Audacity. You can hear a difference in my commentary if you watch any of my other videos (like the first episode of my Dead Island playthrough).


~~Well, that about wraps up my first weekly review. This was actually a lot of fun to write up, now I'm not dreading doing these every week! I'll see you guys next time, have a good one, and thanks for watching/reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there. On this blog, you may comment on and about whatever you want. Just don't make fun of Platypuses. Don't ever make fun of Platypuses.